Thursday, April 21, 2011

Your kid might be watching too much Disney Junior when...

The majority of what our kids watch on tv is the Disney channel.  I suppose I should probably turn it to PBS a little more, but they've become so attached to Disney that I don't even think about it.  And the stuff on Disney is harmless (although sometimes annoying) and comes with very few, if any, product placement commercials for toys, so I don't get the "I want that!  I want that!" that immediately comes when we temporarily turn it to most other channels.

However, sometimes I think I should give them a bit more television diversity, simply because it is possible they are being brainwashed by Disney.  Anna is not quite as bad, but Lizzie may be showing signs of watching a tad too much Disney Junior.  Some signs that Lizzie may be watching too much Disney Junior are:
  • If we are outside and we are missing a tool to complete a task (say a ladder so Seth can finish taking down the Christmas lights), she yells "Oh Toodles!" and fully expects Toodles to show up with a mousketool
  • Trains are referred to as "Chuggingtons"
  • When going into a restaurant that has a gold, circular emblem above the door, Lizzie says "That's a gold dubloon!"
  • Any item that can be worn around the neck that looks like it has a pouch on it is carrying pixie dust
  • The song sung most often in our house is not Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, or Mary Had a Little Lamb, it is "Clap clap, fingersnap, time to check the mouskemap."
And if you are able to recognize and identify all of the items above, you might be watching a little too much Disney Junior, too :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it! That's really funny... Oh Toodles! (Oh Toodles!) I thought you were going to say that she expects the tools to jump around and talk, a la Handy Manny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeeze, I suppose I'm guilty as charged, and I don't even watch the Disney Junior channel! I actually recognise all of the above!

    ReplyDelete