Thursday, June 23, 2011

One of my least favorite parenting tasks

Potty training.  It's an important time for any little girl and boy, as they attempt to ditch the diapers and become big kids by wearing underwear.  It means no more spending tons of money on diapers and wipes, and it means your trash doesn't stink to high heaven (well, at least for diaper reasons).  It means expanded possibilities for activities, since a lot of places don't want your kid if they're still in diapers because they don't want to deal with it.  This milestone means many things, but I'm going to be quite honest... making it happen is one of my least favorite parenting tasks.  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Anna started asking to use the potty a few months before she turned two.  I remember thinking "Awesome, she'll be one of those kids who potty trains easily and early!"  Yeah, it didn't happen like that.  She lost interest a few weeks later, and it was almost two years later before we were done with lots of daytime accidents and I could say she really was fully potty trained.

So I've kind of been dreading the day that we start this process with Lizzie.  Over the past few weeks, she has been asking to go to the potty.  She has, in fact, been begging to go.  And yesterday when we were at the library, she zeroed in on and picked out a book called "Done with Diapers".  I think she's giving me hints she might be ready.  So today she got to pick out underwear, and she has her own little potty.  So here we go!  Wish us luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment