It is amazing how fast kids' feet grow. We bought Anna tap and ballet shoes that were a little too big for her in early September, before her dance class started, and in January I couldn't even get the ballet shoes on her. We bought the girls tennis shoes around the same time, so I figured it was time to get some new ones.
We ended up at Saxon shoes for several reasons: 1) Lizzie's feet are too wide for your run-of-the-mill Target, WalMart, or KMart shoes; 2) they have a pretty big selection; and 3) they give out balloons (this is really the most important reason, you understand).
Ms. Peggy measured Anna's feet, and she had grown almost a size and a half! We walked around looking at shoes she might like. I zeroed in on the pink ones initially, because pink is her favorite color. The last time we went shoe shopping, she wanted pink shoes. But she didn't seem to want any of the ones we were showing her. Finally I asked her what color she wanted. "Green!" Ok, that's odd. So Anna ended up with green shoes. Actually, more like neon green, seem-to-emanate-their-own-light shoes.
Lizzie had also grown a size and picked out some blue and red tennis shoes (pretty typical for her, since she likes blue). When we went to check out, Ms. Peggy asked the girls what color balloons they wanted. Once again I was thrown for a loop - Lizzie wanted pink (not blue or purple, but not really strange since she likes pink, too) and Anna wanted... green? What in the world? I mean, I'm happy she's moving away from pink, but this is so unexpected! Had something magically changed when we walked into the door of the shoe store?
After we got home, I asked Anna why she got green shoes instead of pink. I was told that green is her next favorite color, and from the extremely long (and hard to understand) explanation that followed, I think she wants her shoes to be a different color, but everything else to be pink. I guess green and pink are complementary colors (well, maybe pink and a normal green, I'm not so sure about the green on her shoes), but she certainly is happy with them, and I guess that's all that matters!
No comments:
Post a Comment